a few words on seers, GM's, and quests

Discussion about the WoD
C.R.Crowley
Seer

a few words on seers, GM's, and quests

Post by C.R.Crowley » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Ok, we have a some new people online as well as some oldbies who might need a refresher on certain aspects and policies regarding staff and quests. I thought therefore that I'd give a quick reminder of such.

First off, a quick explanation of what seers and GM's actually are.
A seer is a storyteller, little more. It is our job to enrich the RP of the world by creating quests as well as doing miscellaneous small stuff here and there. Every now and again we do silly things just to make things more fun, with no real RP involved but most of the time our quests are to enrich RP. Once in a while we watch players to get a feel for a player's prowess, or for inspiration about a quest, but for the most part we mind our own business as it were.
GMs (AKA the crappy job nobody wants) are staff who make sure things run smoothly mechanically and socially, and enforce the rules. If you have a technical issue, or a social issue with a player which you cannot resolve any other way within the rules, a GM is there to set things right. If you put in a help page, it is a GM who should answer it.
The 2 jobs are not interchangable, and while every now and then a seer has been known to fix something, or a GM to help a seer with a quest, this is not the norm, and should not be expected (esp. once we get more of the latter).

Now a word on my side of the house, quests. While RP is not enforced on this shard, even on quests, a quest IS usually a role play friendly event... what this means to you guys is that while you are welcome to come, you should try to keep OOC (out of character) talk to a minimum while a seer or your fellow players are conversing in character. Also, being intentionally disruptive to a quest is quite frustrating to those running it and those around anyone who is so disruptive. Also, regardless of the RP of your character, things that in real life would be considered treasonous or *unduly* rude are things you should definately think twice about during a quest. Finally, remember that we are all here to have fun... try to do so yourselves without ruining it for everyone else.

Chelsea Duklain
Upstanding
Upstanding

Re: a few words on seers, GM's, and quests

Post by Chelsea Duklain » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:02 am

While I can't speak for everyone, I can speak for myself. I am out of practice when it comes to group questing but by golly I'm sure trying. And I'm having a blast. I thoroughly enjoy the current quests going on and am looking forward to those in the future. Thank you for all the hard work you put into entertaining us. It's definitely working.

Thank you!

Vincent Tel'Imoen
Upstanding
Upstanding

Post by Vincent Tel'Imoen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:23 am

I don't know how the Seers felt about today's quest, but I had a lot of fun.

I didn't feel that today's quest was any easier than the ape one by design — in some ways it certainly wasn't — and many of the players who were present today were also present previously, but I thought that everything went smoother. There were a couple of deaths that might have been avoided — both Homer's, if that means anything — but it's great to see that we were able to play well together and have a lot of fun. I wish I had taken a screenshot where we were telling each other to stick together and ended up on top of one another, sharing only a few of the available tiles.

I want to thank all the players for a fun day and the Seers for making an environment favourable to such fun. I know you guys do this for fun too and I hope that we never do anything that makes it otherwise.

Seer Daniel
Seer

Post by Seer Daniel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Thank you for the feedback. It's always good to hear that you are enjoying the events.

We would also appreciate it if you (the players) could remember to post a brief writeup on the Fellowship Hall board. Those who did not attend might be interested to know what took place. It also helps us (the seers) in the development of the storylines. We have great stories to tell but we need your help to share them :)