Home Owners Insurance Needed

In-Character Discussion
Chelsea Duklain
Upstanding
Upstanding

Home Owners Insurance Needed

Post by Chelsea Duklain » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 am

Since coming to the world of Britannia the Duklain family had always considered Moonglow their home. With the recent revival of the world came a desire to revive and refresh other aspects of their lives. It was with this in mind that Chelsea set out to add variety to their lives. The Atei family’s move had left a rather large piece of real estate available in Magincia. After several days of mulling it over, the decision was made to purchase it and commence the move.

The property had just been secured by Kaice and Chelsea. While Chelsea returned to the Britain Bank to take care of some last minute changes Kaice remained behind to begin the process of unpacking the family’s belongings. Unfortunately, the house didn’t come with front doors. A contractor would have to be commissioned to build and install them at a later date. But why worry? It was Magincia and one would be hard pressed to find a more peaceful, villainous free neighborhood than Magincia. Not only that, there were no less than three guards perpetually patrolling the grounds near the bank.

Such misconceptions are usually the beginning of a sad tale. Kaice had just finished placing a few bookcases along the hallway and was in the process of making copies of the key when a stranger ran into the house and threw an explosion potion directly at the bookcases. Although she was able to move clear of the blast, the bookcases were not. The wooden items, stacked with thick tombs of paper filled books immediately went up in flames. The hungry flames spread from one case to another voraciously searching for fuel to continue their feeding frenzy. In a span of seconds walls of flames stretched the length of the corridor and spiraled into the adjacent rooms. All the while the hooded perpetrator remained blocking the entrance. Smoke from the fire curled and twisted forming smoke elementals. Flickering flames leapt from the walls of fire to form into their own entities. Within minutes the new home was filled with a multitude of elementals spawned from the flames.

Having no skills to deal with such an outbreak, Kaice wisely made the choice to flee. A portal was summoned and she quickly stepped through to the bank in Britain to alert Chelsea.
There was much confusion about how all this began but now wasn’t the time for an inquiry. Chelsea hastily donned her weapons, mounted her horse and took off as fast as Onyx could carry her towards the moongate to Magencia. The dusky smell of smoke hit her nostrils the moment she cleared the moongate. Upon arriving to the home, the situation seemed worse than she had anticipated. There were several elementals weaving their way throughout her house and despite the fact that the bookcases had been burned to ashes, the walls of flames didn’t seem to have lessened.

With her jaw set she urged her horse onward towards the nearest elemental. The creature made entirely of smoke packed more of a punch than one would have thought. The deafening roar of the cyclonic winds and the sounds of battle rang through the air as she attempted to dispatch one at a time. I would like to say that Chelsea was an incredibly tough woman and held her own but I would be telling an outright lie. Retreats to bandage mortal wounds and were taken more often than not. The elementals proved to be more than one mere woman could handle and it was glaringly evident after a while that the numbers were not dwindling. If anything, they were multiplying. At this point, I’d also like to say that Chelsea was a very bright woman and immediately realized why the entities were multiplying and set about rectifying it. Again, I would be lying. There are very few things in Britannia that cannot be taken down by a sword. Very few. Even the beautiful but incredibly dangerous ancient dragons that inhabit the dungeons can eventually be worn down by a talented swordsman. When one is used to physically plowing their way through any obstacle, one’s ability to assess a situation from any other angle becomes impaired. I am proud to say, however, that eventually a bulb, however dim, was finally lit over her head. Realization dawned on her that the creatures were multiplying because they were spawning from the fire. The flames would have to be squelched if she were going to have any measure of success.

With a new plan of action she hastily ascended the stairs, desperately trying fending off the creatures as she progressed. The appropriate chest of kitchen items was found; several pitchers were removed and filled from the nearby water barrel. She ran as fast as her legs, and armor, would allow. Once the first wall of flame was reached the pitcher was poured onto the flames. The flames sputtered and hissed but were immediately reduced to nothing but smoldering ashes. One by one the walls of flames were squelched until there was nothing but the remaining elementals to dispatch.

By the time the last elemental dissipated she turned, soot streaked and exhausted, the man in the hooded cowl had disappeared. A quick search of the town was futile.
The guards, a local woodsman and a merchant all lost their lives in the battle. If only she’d used her brain instead of brawn sooner then perhaps there wouldn’t have been casualties.
The next day was spent sorting through ruined books and removing the remnants of the catastrophe. Needless to say there are now safety precautions in place in the Duklain’s new home. Water barrels, pitchers, scrolls and wands are now strategically placed throughout to ensure the safety of its inhabitants. And the family is now more aware of the potential hazards of living in this unstable world.

Which brings to mind – does anyone know where to get good home owners insurance?

chuxton
Admirable
Admirable

Re: Home Owners Insurance Needed

Post by chuxton » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:48 am

Hrmph
Madam, I read with horror the sad tale of your real estate misfortunes. I occurs to me that your plight is most likely not unique and that there are many others who might benefit from -hrmph- financial services of the nature you describe. I note that no organizations offer such services in Brittania and see there might be a considerable opp-ahem DUTY to provide them. Just for the purposes of enquiry, how many gp/annum might you be willing to -hrmph- invest in such protection?

Penn-Hedley III, Proprietor and Underwriter of the New Magincia Protect Your Loved Ones Association, Estd (soon)