The World of Dreams needs reorganization

Discussion about the WoD
Lancelot
Prominent
Prominent

Re: The World of Dreams needs reorganization

Post by Lancelot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 pm

I sent an email to DreamHost's customer service asking if it would work that way.

rocko
Prominent
Prominent

Post by rocko » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on game design.
Agata wrote:Many features are still under discussion and playtesting, but one of the easiest and most fleshed out (not yet implemented, though) is the Crafters Guild or Crafters Order. Members will gain "fame" from crafting and repairing, and this will influence their title. It doesn't sound very great on the surface, but the truth is it will give non-combatant crafters a way to actually advance in title.
This sounds to me is very similar to bulk order deed, which happens to be one of the most successful designs from OSI. So certainly helps to have something like that. Would be better if there is even differentiators.
Agata wrote:Another feature under discussion is the possibility of recharging the charged items. Fire resistance, cold resistance, poison resistance, and energy resistance indicators will be used to display the total number of charges left in your items worn. The different types of resistance charges, in case you don't remember, are fire resistance, frost resistance, poison protection, electrical resistance, and magic reflection. For the last one we might use the Luck indicator. I will not go deep in the workings of how to recharge the items, that's under discussion.
This feature is not new to me. I did something similar a few years ago in this format: elemental mobs will drop elemental essence in loot, then crafters can craft them into special potions, then apply on the weapon/armors to recharge its elemental damage/resist. But sure sounds good to add.
Agata wrote:This led to some brainstorming about the Imbuing skill. Currently we have Benson with his potions of magical randomness. We talked about gambling more points for a "more concentrated" potion, but then we thought about opening this as a skill to players. This is still in a brainstorming phase.
Imbue is a gargoyle skill on OSI right? I think it can be fun to have, as long as the power is under control. I think Drocket also tried something similar on his second project, giving player the imbue skill. There are also features on other shards like diablo's socket, similar in line. I also tried something similar in the past, where a crafter can enhance a magic item up by a grade, for example, force weapon be improved to power weapon; with a limited quota on how many times/grades an item can be improved. When done properly, this can be fun.
Agata wrote:Another, the data files have two octaves of notes for the lap harp, standing harp, and lute. We have been thinking about making some harpola and luteola or similar thing. We have yet to define the way to interface with it, but my idea is a gump with "punch-holes" to mimic a pianola's roll. We even considered giving the player a way to define a short tune for provocation, another for discordance, and yet another for peacemaking, and play them on a successful check of those skills instead of the normal sounds, but we don't know how that will respond with the amount of network traffic during combat.
Not sure about this. I am not a big fan of playing different tones in game so have no comment.
Agata wrote:Then there are some ideas about pet training, reworking pet AI scripts and stuff. Think of pets with more advanced battle orders, some regarding spellcasting and healing. This led to the idea of having spellcasting on henchmen too.
I think Arcadia (a WoD spin off) had it. Mage henchmen can cast spells, both detrimental and beneficial. I tried something like that myself too in the past. Can be fun.
Agata wrote:Also speaking of pets, the pet training and revamped AI sprang the idea of having the Giant Beetle not only as a pack animal, but as a mining pet. "Buggy mine", target location, beetle starts mining and storing the stuff into its pack. There would be a way to put the pet to train, preferably by paying gold to a pet trainer.
Not sure what is the difference between this and the player do it himself, if it still resolves to player manually target a tile... However, if you are talking about a pet that actually walks around and mine automatically by itself, then it is a whole different story. May need some rules to make sure it is not abused but that would be fun.

Anyway, sounds like you got a plan in place. Best luck to get them implemented.

Lancelot
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Lancelot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:02 am

I got this email from DreamHost:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting DreamHost. Sending a letter to that address would
not reach the account holder. But I would be happy to pass along any
information to the account holder for you. What info would you like me
to pass along to them?

Regards,

Art A

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 am

Bulk order deeds are already implemented on WoD for the Blacksmithy skill, what's left is to implement the other crafting skills, and fame. Currently there is no Fame in WoD.

Imbuing is not a gargoyle-only skill. The way OSI handles the cap is to limit each magic item to 5 magical properties, and give each magical property a value, and magic items have a total value cap. Also, each magical property can only be raised up to a certain value unless you have a special ingredient specific for that property. The other measure used to control these items is to make them "brittle" when imbued for the first time; this means you can't use Powder of Fortification (equivalent of our Full Repair Kits) on them, so this limits the number of times you can repair an imbued item before it breaks. The Imbuing can be a very interesting and complex system, more interesting than dumping magic items on Benson and crossing your fingers while you use the potion. We will try to make something different enough from OSI.

The miner beetle can be good for example if you don't have a character with high mining skill, or when you want to mine faster, for example while mining sand for making obsidian. Also remember WoD isn't like OSI, you just double click your shovel once, target a spot and leave it there until the vein runs dry. The autonomous miner might not always be a good idea, remember we get granite elementals, sand elementals, slimes and such.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:32 am

Lancelot wrote:I got this email from DreamHost:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting DreamHost. Sending a letter to that address would
not reach the account holder. But I would be happy to pass along any
information to the account holder for you. What info would you like me
to pass along to them?

Regards,

Art A
Well, I guess the message would be we miss him dearly and hope he is well and can come back soon, and that the 099 scripts are almost ready to go live.

Lancelot
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Lancelot » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:43 am

Here is a mockup. Let me know if you want any changes or additions.
To: Laephis

We miss you dearly, hope you are well and that you can come back soon. The 099 scripts are almost ready to go live.

Sincerely,
Agata and all the other World of Dream members.

Agata
Developer

Post by Agata » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am

Maybe if you add:

The WoD server went down unexpectedly on february 13th, and I didn't get to do a newer data backup of it. All I have is data from november.

Lancelot
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Lancelot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:35 am

In case you don't notice the new message notification, I sent you a PM Agata.