Ajax Mayflower: How I spent the dark years

In-Character Discussion
chuxton
Admirable
Admirable

Ajax Mayflower: How I spent the dark years

Post by chuxton » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:26 pm

When the imminent end of the world was predicted, I decided to go to the Abbey and await my fate with the Brothers and Sisters there. I’ve always had a feeling of calm serenity in that place, and it is close to my childhood home of Mayflower Mill. I’ll admit that I was quite afraid as the hour of doom approached.

“Click.” Silence
A World is gone.
Darkness Enfolds.
There is to be no dawn.

Everything was gone. Yet, I KNEW it was gone, so there must have been something of me still floating around in the dark. After all, it is mighty hard to kill a dream, let alone a World of Dreams. Maybe we were/are nothing (or nothing very important) in a physical sense, at all. If the important parts of us are in hearts and minds, maybe we are sort of immortal.

The mountains have vanished.
No oceans, no shore.
Birds aren’t merely mute-
They’re not there any more.

That is one thing I learned in my years at the Abbey- an even greater appreciation of nature for having to do without it. I am considering druidry.

Has The World ceased to be?
With its forests and streams?
It’s hard to dispel
A world made of dreams.

In hearts and in minds
The heroes still stand.
The trolls in new wardrobes
Will not rule THEIR lands.

The world went on, even when it was off. Widespread minds never forgot it, never lost the things they gained from it. And it was not only the land, but the community that lived on- the memories of each other.

“Click.” Laughter.
The World lives anew.
New dreams can be born
And new dreamers, too.

I have been giving a lot of thought to magic. I think our exile of the dark years may have been caused by an over-dependence on magic in our community. I mean, we know there is bad magic, right? We consider it unvirtuous to use necromancy, even if we seem unsure that being unvirtuous is "bad." So how can we be sure that other magic doesn't do just as much harm to our world (or ourselves)? On the other hand, where does magic stop and art begin? When I don a magic apron, the increase in my smithing skills is exactly the same as when I study with a master. Which healing is skill and which is magic? I have talked at length with the brothers and sisters at the Abbey, and my conclusion is that I just don't know. Perhaps magic is like red meat- no to be avoided completely, but to be taken in moderation. That, at least, is how I have decided to take it. I will eschew the use of the 64 spells, including their scrolls. I will not avoid enchanted items or resurrection magic (would the world be a better place without Homer Oldham's last 2150 lives?). I will seek out and freely use the natural magic of druidry and music. I will only use wands and potions in circumstances I decide are unavoidable, ethically.

I don't know if I'm right about all of this. Killer, my bunny, seems to approve. But I have decided to follow this path. Some of the brothers and sisters of the abbey have agreed to join me in my efforts and act as my spiritual counsellors and helpers, so you might see them around with me, from time to time.

Yours Naturally, Ajax Mayflower

Jakeman
Admirable
Admirable

Re: Ajax Mayflower: How I spent the dark years

Post by Jakeman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 pm

very nice and well written Ajax :)
"If it can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time." -Murphy's Law
Characters:
The Illustrious Sir Jakeman Order Guard,
The Dastardly Raban Master Wizard (and Necromancer too!)
You're just jealous the voices only talk to me!