Latest shard info

Discussion about the WoD
Laephis
Administrator

Latest shard info

Post by Laephis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:49 pm

First, a huge thanks to everyone who has returned. It's been great seeing so many familiar names and the support has been fantastic. There are a couple things that I wanted to mention as we get this ball rolling:

1) The current version of the shard is running off a backup I took on March 26, 2004. I thought I had set up a newer copy, but alas...my bad. I have another copy from 5/29/04 that *may* work instead, but I'll have to test it out. The question is, is the extra 3 months of saved data worth it to you or is sticking with the current version OK? There are pros and cons and I'm curious what others think. (You may gain items, you may lose some, etc.) Remember that any amount of time I spend messing around with other backup copies means less time for other areas. :)

2) I'm a little unhappy with the host I'm using for the server. I have another week to test it out before my "free trial" time is up. I'm going to try another host this week and may need a few volunteers to help with that. Let me know if you're willing and able.

3) Finally, keep in mind that the server has been up for less than a week, so I'm still ironing out many issues. Patience is definitely the key word. If you notice a problem, don't hesitate to report it, just know that it may take me a little while to get around to it.

Thanks, and have fun. 8-)

Nia
Prominent
Prominent

Re: Latest shard info

Post by Nia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm happy with the version that is up and running now. :)

Laephis
Administrator

Post by Laephis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Nia wrote:I'm happy with the version that is up and running now. :)
Glad to hear it. I figure after 7 years, what difference does a couple months make anyway? :P

I will be switching hosts, though. I'm really unhappy with the current provider. I just activated a new server on another host and damn, it's a million times faster for the same price. After testing, I will give ample warning about the switch. It will all be behind the scenes, just involves a small amount of downtime for DNS records to change.

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Are you saying you have backed up UO from back then, meaning our stuff is backed up?? ummm DUDE! if that is true you ROCK! (you still rock lol but more so if I can walk in as Azzo once again...

Laephis
Administrator

Post by Laephis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Azzo_Ranar wrote:Are you saying you have backed up UO from back then, meaning our stuff is backed up?? ummm DUDE! if that is true you ROCK! (you still rock lol but more so if I can walk in as Azzo once again...
Yes, it's all there. Sometimes is pays to be a sentimental geeky packrat. :mrgreen:

Azzo_Ranar
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Azzo_Ranar » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I am beyond stoked......almost speechless.....come on download!!!!!! lol
Same logins?

Caramon
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Caramon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Azzo_Ranar wrote:I am beyond stoked......almost speechless.....come on download!!!!!! lol
Same logins?
PM Laephis with your info, and he'll get you the cfg file and your login info. I actually got my account name correct!

Xanola
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Xanola » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Is it sad that WoD has meant so much to me that I use my WoD password for everything, and have pretty much ever since.... so I knew exactly what my password and acct name were without having to be told?

Nia
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Nia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:46 pm

LOL. No Xan. While I couldn't remember my password, of all the shards I've played on, and for that matter, all of the various online games - WoD was always "home" in a way that the others weren't. I actually cried when the server shut down. That's a first for me. I really missed the people here.

Seon MacRae
Notable
Notable

Post by Seon MacRae » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that everything is the way it was. My tower is still there, along with my henchmen hanging around in it.

Gotta love being a packrat...it usually pays off. :)
WoD: Seon MacRae, Caoth Valewalker, Avagdu
Steam Name: [toj.cc] janc