Order Guard virtue gain

Discussion about the WoD
Joram Lionheart
Admirable
Admirable

Order Guard virtue gain

Post by Joram Lionheart » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:26 am

So . . . gaining virtue (title) as an Order Guard is difficult. But just how difficult it is may not be evident unless you've been there.

These days there aren't many Order Guards around; Jakeman is the only other active player I know who is an Order Guard. But that's OK, there aren't many players around, period. The problem is, even back in the "Golden Age" of WoD, when we had as many as 50-60 players each night, it was still very, very difficult to go up the virtue ladder. How difficult was it? Well, Joram is the first character to join the Order way back when Dundee introduce the VG system. Joram is also the first and only (as far as I know) Order Guard to ever reach Glorious Lord in the history of WoD.

So how long did it take? Well, it took that long: the whole history of WoD. Joram didn't reach Glorious Lord until the last week (it may actually have been the night before) of WoD's life. In fact, I have the nagging suspicion that Siobhan might have "helped" the process along a bit just to make me happy. So 4+ years to go from Squire to Glorious Lord. That's a long time, maybe too long for most people's taste. By the way, since the current version of the world is from an older backup, I'm currently at Illustrious, "halfway" to Glorious.

Now that we might have a developer, is there any way we can speed up this process? I would imagine (I don't know anything about code, btw) that a simple way to do so is to create an Order Guard NPC (or the Queen herself?) that would give out quests to Order Guards much like the Adventurer's Guild. For that matter, the quests could be like the town guard quests ("So-and-so is causing trouble at . . ."). Of course, a guild-like setup with other perks would be cool too. The point is, Order Guards would still not gain virtue from killing mobs but they would be "honored" (i.e. gain personal virtue) by the NPC for completing the quest. This would still be be a very slow way to move up the virtue ladder but it would be an improvement over the current system.
Plus it would give Order Guards an added incentive to go questing together since no other class could do those quests.

Thoughts?

- J

Sei Ryu
Admirable
Admirable

Re: Order Guard virtue gain

Post by Sei Ryu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:43 am

Well, for starters, one of the alternatives would be to remove the triangling requirement. What is that? Well, lets say, Jakeman honors/respects you, then if he doesn't honor/respect anyone elsa later, and then honors/respects you again, it has no effect. He needs to honor someone else before honoring you again.
Gradilla Dragon
-=={UDIC}==-
Chars: Sighard Kharada, Taliaali Kharada, Walja Kharada, Zebey Kharada, Sarinder Kharada, Maedhros Kharada

gemini
Honorable
Honorable

Post by gemini » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:17 am

Am not sure about the Order Guard stuff but I like that it takes alot to get to Glorious,it took Mal along time to get but its a great feeling getting it done,if you speed it up everyone will make it to that title then it means nothing really,but yeah I can see why not getting the Viture gains on normal mobsfor the Order Guard would be a pain,I hunted Vamps,and did guard quest weeks straight untill I hit Glorious. Maybe find a wat for Order Guards to get viture by normal mobs,but leave the other like it is.
I am so taken and accepted among brothers and fellows.

Xanola
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Xanola » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:22 am

I'm not too sure about that, as Chaos guards have the same titles without the same requirement of honoring... But I like the honor system for virtue.... it adds a small feeling of brotherhood if you will... As far as speed goes, perhaps that could be increased a little by adjusting a few things, like perhaps instead of raw honor to virtue a script could be created to where if you honor someone in certain spots you get like 25% more virtue than they have honor to give. For instance: Shrines, temple of Virtue, Queen's castle Once per month you can transfer honor at any of these locales to recieve the bonus virtue?

gemini
Honorable
Honorable

Post by gemini » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:55 pm

that sounds good,or maybe do like the fountians you visit say like the one in WInd Park that gives you a buff for a few days,maybe visit a shrine or the castle for a day of 5% bonus to your viture gain.
I am so taken and accepted among brothers and fellows.

Sei Ryu
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Sei Ryu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Given that virtue gains are usually between 1 and 7, a 5% increase becomes 0.
Gradilla Dragon
-=={UDIC}==-
Chars: Sighard Kharada, Taliaali Kharada, Walja Kharada, Zebey Kharada, Sarinder Kharada, Maedhros Kharada

Mack
Reputable
Reputable

Post by Mack » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm

I remember one time Mack honored someone and he gained a title since Mack had been hunting for months. Then he got honored back and it did nothing. I was sad.