Bank Closing in Britain

Having a problem? Post it here.
She Said
Notable
Notable

Bank Closing in Britain

Post by She Said » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Hello, all. I'm relatively new to WOD and I have five characters in development. I'd like to know a bit more about the closing of the Bank in Britain. Everyone I talk to brushes it off as inconsequential and acts as though it has a very low priority. They say "just" move to Moonglow or Jehlom for a while. That's relatively easy to say for characters who can gate, but not newer characters. If the problem is a technical one that requires calendar time or if the priority is determined with full understanding of the inconvenience involved, fine. I'll work through it happily. If, however, if the priority is based on a focus on the experienced player, just be aware there is another viewpoint. I won't go into the details unless someone wants to know, but I am stuck with the Britain area and the absence of a bank there adds about 10-15% to my character development time. I don't want to be selfish or pushy, just make sure the minority report is out there. I can't even tell whether this is a technical issue, an upgrade or part of an in-game quest. It would be nice to know.

Thanks for any info.
The Sisters of the East End Inn

Agata
Developer

Re: Bank Closing in Britain

Post by Agata » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 pm

The Britain bank was closed because there was an attack by Creatures of the Void and they caused a lot of mayhem, so repairs need to be made (a quest related thing). I sometimes lurk around invisible and watch the people, and I know you have been offered gates to Jhelom and Skara Brae, which are very safe and friendly towns to new characters. You seemed annoyed at the idea of moving somewhere else, made that same comment about being easy for those who can gate, turned around and walked away. Maybe you didn't pay attention and didn't read past the "just go to X town for now" comment.

Gates were offered to you after that remark, and people tends to be very helpful here, you could have just asked someone to help you get to one of those towns. Skara Brae is an island, but there is a free ferry ride to the mainland, just step on the ship. You will arrive at a zone with low level monsters appropriate for training your fighting skills. There are also farmlands in that zone. Skara Brae is a decent replacement for Britain.
I'm familiar with the acacia. I know how immortality is achieved.

Kale Greeneye
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Kale Greeneye » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:55 pm

Anytime I am on I would be more then happy to gate/take you anywhere whenever you need even if its just a quick trip to a bank or somewhere. Im never doing anything important.

Laephis
Administrator

Post by Laephis » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 am

We're currently in negotiations with Britain Bricklayers Local 151 and hope to reach an agreement very soon. ;)

Zoram
Reputable
Reputable

Post by Zoram » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 am

hmm, I wonder if that Sam character will be back as banker, or if we will Boone will come out of retirement?
Just because you grow older, doesn't mean you have to grow up ~ Bill
There are 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1, except for maybe ::1

She Said
Notable
Notable

Post by She Said » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:59 am

Whoa. I did not mean to stir such a negative reaction. Asking for gates from people would be as time consuming as running back and forth to the moongate, is not my play style and often I am the only one on line when I play. But I clearly made a mistake in bringing up the problem and I won't ask questions again. I had read the quest story, but it sounded like it might just be a story line placed over some other problem. I thought that asking for an explanation and making sure folks understood it made a different was in keeping with the spirit of this shard. You live and learn. I will cope and keep my mouth shut.

Chelsea Duklain
Upstanding
Upstanding

Post by Chelsea Duklain » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:18 am

Long ago, I used to get upset at the staff and players taking a defensive stance against new players and berating them on the boards for any questions they might ask. Now I find myself on the opposite side of the fence. I don't believe your request for an explanation regarding the current state of the Britain bank was what rose the hackles of our staff. I believe it was the manner in which you inquired.

This game isn't special in the grand scheme of things. It's not the only shard out there. It's not as graphically stimulating or challenging as a lot of games out there but to those of us that have returned from a long hiatus, it's a very special game. There was a time when such an inquiry would have been met with no less than ten scathing retorts of "There are other free shards out there. Don't like this one? Try another." I'm very glad to see that we've moved past such juvenile insults and responses and are now a more mature and thoughtful group.

However, the one mistake I made a long time ago was trying to do and learn everything on my own. I didn't want to inconvenience anyone by asking questions and I sure as heck didn't want to be obligated by taking anything from anyone. I wanted to level my characters all by myself and take pride in the fact that I did it - alone.

What I was missing out on was the great opportunity to get to know the players on this shard. Every single one of them are friendly, helpful, compassionate and love this game. I missed out on a lot of quests and interactions because I secluded myself from the 'cliques'.

I'm not saying you should run right out and annoy the hell out of everyone you meet but I am suggesting that perhaps the current renovations being done to the Britain bank are for a greater cause. Perhaps those that run our little world are trying to make us interact with one another more often by making those that don't understand what's going on actually interact and ask. Just maybe they're trying to get the new and old players to meet and have a reason to stop and chat.

You have to admit, you've probably spoken to more people since the closing of the bank than you did when it was open and you could just run in there, do your business and run back out.

You also have to realize, those of us that have been around a while have pretty much accumulated everything we could possibly need. We love helping new people. We love giving them things and answering questions. We enjoy it and we hope it inspires those that come after us to continue the tradition and pay it forward. That's what the World of Dreams is all about.

If there is anything I can assist you with, please let me know. Although Chelsea is a pure fighter and can't gate, she can certainly travel on foot with you wherever you wish to go and ensure your character's safety.

I certainly hope you won't keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself in the future. Without discussion we can't continue to grow and improve.

Shelly (Chelsea Duklain, Kaice, Angel Magnus, Faith McPherson)

chuxton
Admirable
Admirable

Post by chuxton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 am

The sisters player is not going solo. I am helping her. She has the same kind of roleplayer mentality that I do, so I help her in in-game ways- character to character not player to player. She knows the game and she knows WOD. Homer loaned the Sisters the use of two chests at Fellowship Hall and free access to Ajax's Farm just outside Britain. Those are not things that you can move to Skara Brae. She needs lockdown chests because, as important as access to a bank box is, the 500 item limit does not work when you are developing 5 characters at once from scratch. That's another thing I learned from my own experience. She asked me about the bank and I told her I didn't know, because I wasn't told, either. Yes, I read the story on the FH thread, but I did not take it literally. I advised her to ask about it and suggested she post to this forum. I make lots of mistakes, and that was another. She was nervous about it, and asked me to look over her post. I told her it was fine. I see nothing wrong with the way she asked. Wrong again. I was also the one who talked her into playing, after watching the game for years. She's actually a much nicer and more socially sensitive person than I am. I guess it's a good thing I'm not having to break into the shard as a Newby.

Chuck
Last edited by chuxton on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chelsea Duklain
Upstanding
Upstanding

Post by Chelsea Duklain » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:44 am

I was trying to be supportive and informative. Not chastising. If it came across that way then I apologize. I guess I was trying to soften the blow of the previous comments. The last thing I wanted to do was be offensive. I was also trying to point out some of my own errors in the past, not accuse her player of making them.

chuxton
Admirable
Admirable

Post by chuxton » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:10 am

You weren't offensive, Chelsea. It was clear that you were trying to help. I think everybody here was. The only problem is that just about everyone seemed to want to make assumptions and help with what they assumed the problem to be, rather than ask questions or give her the benefit of the doubt that she knew what she was taliking about. She said she would explain in more detail to anyone who asked, but no one did. She's okay and not ready to give up the game, but it might be a long while before she asks anyone but me for help. I'm terribly embarrassed.

Chuck