Then and Now

Discussion about the WoD
Zoram
Reputable
Reputable

Re: Then and Now

Post by Zoram » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:07 pm

I always remember something my Grandfather told me some years back "Just because you grow older, doesn't mean you have to grow up"
Just because you grow older, doesn't mean you have to grow up ~ Bill
There are 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary, and those that don't.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1, except for maybe ::1

Forseti
Upstanding
Upstanding

Post by Forseti » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 am

Oooh man crazy to think about the time.. and cool that we can measure it against memories of WoD

Then: I was about to graduate high school.. I went on to college for three years..delivered pizza on weekends, and Counterstrike source was my major heheh. Wasn't quite ready for college then, so I joined the navy.

Now: I've been a navy corpsman for 4 years stationed with the marine corps infantry 1/3 based out of hawaii. Did a tour in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. Deployment was like being stuck in a dungeon for 7 months, a really stinky dungeon >:) Best and worst times of my life... I just moved back to the mainland this week and started my first day in the actual navy working at a hospital. It's a much welcomed change, and now I have more free time to do things like play WoD!! If anything, I've learned that we do live in a world of dreams, just have to believe and think the right thoughts (just don't ask me what the right thoughts are) :)

michella
Reputable
Reputable

Post by michella » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Hello fellow WoDians :)
Then I was a high school teacher, working with the handicapped. Enjoying my first online game and having it set the standard for which every other game I have played since has paled in comparison :) This game wasn't about the game mechanics (although I do miss the intricacies) It was about the people.

Now I am still teaching but will retire at the end of this year! I am graduating!! Looking forward to travelling with my husband of 44 years and enjoying my great grandchild :) I have played WoW, AO, a few UO shards and LOTR with precious friends I made right here, Edison and CloudChaser and whenever he can pop in, Ehran. It is wonderful to see familiar names and catch up :)

Nia
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Nia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I hope to see you all in game soon!

Sorin Laban
Reputable
Reputable

Post by Sorin Laban » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Then: I got my two very young boys into playing UO. Spent most of my time rescuing them from their daily death marches in the dragon room!

Now: They are both old enough and experienced enough to repay the favor! LOL!! :twisted:

jord1093
Notable
Notable

Post by jord1093 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:38 am

Aimee, i know what you mean.... When i played on WoD with all of you wonderful misfits, i was nine... People would joke about how mature i was and say that i acted 2 times my age. Now, it's the opposite... I'm almost 18 and i act like i'm nine. Oh, how we change :)
A.K.A. Benny Boldsong...

Seon MacRae
Notable
Notable

Post by Seon MacRae » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 am

Then: dealing with a new toddler, getting settled in my first real full-time job as a web developer.

Now: daughter is almost done with elementary school (already!), in an amazing new job where I telecommute from home.
WoD: Seon MacRae, Caoth Valewalker, Avagdu
Steam Name: [toj.cc] janc

Edison
Prominent
Prominent

Post by Edison » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:25 am

Then: Worked for a home based bookkeeping service.

Now: Purchased said business after my old boss passed away, oh and developed bad cataracts in my right eye, so I am currently half way though getting that delt with. One eye has been operated on other is some ways off yet. Kinda novel being able to see without glasses (I had a very strong prescription).

Also looking at getting a fancy new computer, so it will be some days before I show up ingame i think.

Joram Lionheart
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Joram Lionheart » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm

I totally missed this thread so I'm bumping it.

Then: I was on my way to spend a year in Austria to study German (I actually left the week after WoD shut down) and was completely smitten by a girl I fell in love with while at a dig in Israel. At the time I couldn't decide if I was more distraught at the fact that I had to spend a year apart from girlfriend or that WoD was being shut down (WoD being my other love). Not counting the year abroad, I had one year left to go on my BA in Near Eastern Archaeology (and a BA in History).

Now: I finished my BA(s), got married (to the same girl), completed an MA in Archaeology, and came back to my alma matter in Tennessee to work as a "Museum Coordinator," which is lingo for the-guy-in-the-basement-who-does-everything-museum-related. It's a small university museum so I wear many different hats (curator, registrar, educator, marketing/PR director, etc). I'm also very involved with this project http://qeiyafa.huji.ac.il/ because our Institute of Archaeology is a partner institution and we haven been directing our own excavation field since 2009.

I'm planning to go on to get a PhD in the next couple of years but I don't want to get into debt again so I'm going to apply for Fellowships/Scholarships until someone else promises to pay for my education. Plus before I go anywhere I'd have to sell my house (ugh). It might take a while I guess is what I'm saying.

I have no kids (yet) but my wife thinks we're way overdue for the "joys" of parenthood. My only regret in the past 7 years is that I didn't stay in touch with my WoD friends. I remember learning about Andrea's passing two or three months AFTER the fact. I was a terrible friend. Some lessons in life you learn the hard way. Still, I think she would forgive me. That's the kind of person she was.

So . . . I have been back one week and I still haven't seen half of you. Where are you SS, Ehran, Forseti, Nia, Sean MacRae? Also, I saw a post or two from Roderick/Daeric. Has he been back?

Jakeman
Admirable
Admirable

Post by Jakeman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm

In 2004 i had just graduated high school (2003) and in the end of 04 i joined the Army. and off i went. i was stationed in Germany for 3yrs and 15 months of that was in Baghdad protecting the bomb squad as they diffused roadside bombs and such. i lived through that (barely, there was a lot of close calls, and a few that were right on the money :( ) and when i got back to Germany, i married the girl of my dreams (so i thought :| ) and transferred to Ft. Sill, OK lived there for a year and some change, then back to Sweet home Alabama! I'm in process of getting divorced from the one i thought was the girl of my dreams, and i have piddled with some other MMORPGs but nothing was quite like WoD it was my first so there is nothing quite like it,(Thanks to Zoram, My older brother, for showing it to me :D ) and i still get excited when i play and all the old fun and feelings come back. I'm a fuzz away from 1/2 through a BA in CS and working on my A+ Cert. I have gotten into D&D and ended up being a DM for a couple campaigns, one very long one in particular. its fun and i love writing the quests and stories out then watching it all come to fruition.
"If it can go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible time." -Murphy's Law
Characters:
The Illustrious Sir Jakeman Order Guard,
The Dastardly Raban Master Wizard (and Necromancer too!)
You're just jealous the voices only talk to me!